- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs + 4 egg whites
- ½ cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp warm water
- ¼ tsp vanilla
Preparation (Vanilla glaze):
- Thoroughly mix glaze ingredients in a bowl.
- Drizzle on bread.
- Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.
- Move oven rack to bottom position. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 2 loaf pans, 8½ x 4½ x 2½ or 9 x 5 x 3".
- Mix pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, milk, vanilla and eggs in a large-size bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except vanilla glaze and ginger.
- Pour batter evenly into each of the pans. Bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in middle of bread comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then loosen bread and cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).