- Low-fat cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- ¾ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
li>½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 1 (2¾ oz.) package wild rice, uncooked
- 1⅓ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Spray a medium-size saucepan with cooking spray, add olive oil then heat to medium-high heat. Add carrots, green bell pepper, mushrooms, onion then sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in wild rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered until rice is tender (about 45 minutes), stirring occasionally or until broth is absorbed. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro.