We’ve all heard of spa-goers sneaking in candy bars to supplement the carrots-and-cottage-cheese diet some health resorts are known for. But at Canyon Ranch, the focus is on moderation, not deprivation. “You’re more likely to stick to a healthy eating regimen if you incorporate lighter versions of your favorite treats instead of cutting them out entirely,” says Scott Uehlein, corporate chef at the Canyon Ranch retreats. “The secret is using ingredients that pack a big flavor punch—like orange liqueur, cocoa powder, and buttermilk—so you just need a little bit.” Try these weight loss recipes and enjoy every bite, guilt-free.
These individual marzipan-like cakes make portion control painless.
Makes 6 cakes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- Cooking spray
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup almond paste
- 2 tbsp nonfat sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp evaporated cane juice
- 3 plums, halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray 64-ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butter, almond paste, and sour cream.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and stir in flour and evaporated cane juice.
- Scoop 3 tbsp batter into each ramekin. Place a plum half in center of batter, cut side up, and top with 1 tsp brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until plum is soft and a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.