Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups low-sodium canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup pearled barley
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 2 parsnips, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into bite-size chunks
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium and add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, cinnamon, tomatoes, and vegetable broth.
- Bring broth to a boil and stir in barley. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables to pot and return broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking, covered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with whole-grain bread, if desired.