Prep times: 12
Total time: 50 minutes
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup lowfat buttermilk, plus
- 1 tbsp lowfat buttermilk
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- Lowfat cooking spray
Ingredient for the topping
- 1/8 cup blueberry all-fruit spread
- 12 fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large-size bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, canola oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl
- Toss blueberries with flour mixture. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir gently.
- Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray, line a 6-count muffin pan. Divide batter evenly; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake until tops are just set (about 12 to 15 minutes). Remove pan from oven and top each muffin with 1/2 tsp fruit spread and 1 blueberry.
- Bake until golden (about 3 to 5 minutes). Cool in pan for about 10 minutes and serve.