Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for recipe
- 1¼ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 3 thin stalks rhubarb, cut into ½” pieces (asparagus and rhubarb are top sources of antioxidants)
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, cut into 1½” pieces
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F. In a medium-size saucepan, bring vegetable broth and butter to a boil. Stir couscous into broth, remove from heat, cover, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine rhubarb, asparagus, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and black pepper. Place mixture on a nonstick baking sheet and roast until asparagus is tender and rhubarb is just about to fall apart (about 6-8 minutes).
- Fluff couscous with a fork and gently toss with the rhubarb mixture. Divide among 4 plates and top each serving with 1 tablespoon toasted almonds. Garnish with additional lemon zest
Nutrition score per serving:(1¾ cups): 389 calories, 13 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 61 g carbs, 12 g protein, 11 g fiber, 117 mg calcium, 4 mg iron, 63 mg sodium
TIP: Chop leftover rhubarb into ½” pieces, seat in plastic zip-top bags, and freeze for up to 6 months.