A Calories Bomb Slims DownWe’ve turned stuffed artichokes, the classic fat-packed appetizer, into a hearty, healthy recipe for weight loss.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Before: 617 Calories, 44 Grams of fat
After: 345 Calories, 18 Grams of fat
- 4 large globe artichokes, stems and discard
- 2 lemons, 1 cut in half, 1 juiced
- ⅔ cup bulgur
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cup spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Bring a large-size pot of water to a boil. Slice off the top inch of 1 artichoke. Cut off the sharp tip of each leaf with kitchen shears. Separate leaves and pull out enough from the center to reveal the fuzzy choke. Scoop out choke with a teaspoon and squeeze some juice from 1 lemon half into the cavity, then use the other lemon half to rub the artichoke all over to prevent discoloration. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Pour lemon juice into the boiling water; add artichokes. Cook until tender (about 25 minutes). Meanwhile, place bulgur and garlic in a heatproof bowl. Bring 1 cup vegetable broth to a boil; pour over bulgur. Cover and let sit until liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes). Mix carrots, spinach, crumbled feta, pine nuts, oregano, black pepper in bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain cooked artichokes on paper towels for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a baking dish. Spoon the bulgur stuffing into each artichoke cavity, then pull the leaves apart and fill the spaces between them. Pour remaining ½ cup broth into bottom of dish.
- Drizzle oil over artichokes. Bake until heated through (about 20 minutes).
Nutrition Score per serving:(1 artichoke; 1½ cups filling):
345 calories, 18 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 40 g carbs, 14 g protein, 163 mg calcium, 4 mg iron, 374 mg sodium