- 12 oz. spinach, thoroughly washed, stems removed
- 8 oz. fresh beets
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz. button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-size bowl, fill water and ice then add onions. Let stand for about 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden brown (about 10-15 minutes), tossing occasionally, then set the croutons aside.
- In a small-size saucepan, toss beets in a small saucepan and filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender (about 30 minutes). Drain and let cool until easy to handle. Peel the beets and cut into ½” cubes, then set aside.
- In a small-size saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the honey mustard, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and stir constantly for about 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Add remaining olive oil then reduce heat to low. Add beet cubes and toss to coat.
- Arrange spinach leaves, onions and mushrooms on plates. Drizzle with the beet dressing and garnish with croutons.