- 2¼ pounds small eggplant (2-3), cut into ¼" slices
- ¼ cup plus 1½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes or 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, chopped
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously oil 2 nonstick baking sheets.
- Put eggplant on baking sheet and brush with ¼ cup of the oil. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp. of the salt. Bake 30 min or until softened.
- Heat remaining oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 1 min.
- Add tomatoes, basil, pepper, and remaining salt and cook until sauce is thickened and reduced to 2 cups, about 15 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer tomato mixture to food processor and puree until nearly smooth.
- Coat bottom of 8 x 8-inch baking pan with ½ cup of the sauce. Add one-third of the eggplant and top with another ½ cup of the sauce and 3 Tbsp. of the cheese. Repeat twice (eggplant, sauce, cheese), ending with remaining cheese.
- Bake until browned, about 30 min. Let rest 10 min before serving.