- 2 cans (15 oz each) 50 percent less sodium beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup finely chopped celery
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp finely chopped seeded jalapeňo chile pepper (wear plastic gloves when handing)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Red-pepper flakes
- Combine three- fourths of the beans, half of the tomatoes, and water in large nonstick saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Puree with immersion blender until mostly smooth. (Note: When using immersion blender, make sure not to scratch bottom of nonstick pan.)
- Add celery, onion, chile pepper, garlic, cumin, remaining beans, and remaining tomatoes. Season with black pepper and red-pepper flakes to taste. Cover pot, leaving lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls and serve.
Weight Loss Recipes Amount per Serving: 102 Calories, 7 g Protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 7 g Fiber, < 1 g fat, < 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium