- 1 slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- ¼ cup prepared pesto sauce
- 2 large egg whites
- 12 ounces extralean (97-99% fat-free) ground turkey breast
- ½ carrot, grated (about ¼ cup)
- ⅛ sweet onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup))
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 8 whole grain rolls (1.3 ounces each), split and toasted
- 2 plum tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly coat broiler-pan rack with cooking spray and line broiler pan with foil.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the bread, 3 Tbsp. of the pesto, and egg whites. Stand about 5 minutes, until bread is softened. Mash with the fork.
- Add the turkey, carrot, onion, pepper, and salt to bread-pesto mixture. Stir gently but thoroughly. Form into 8 patties (each will use slightly heaping ¼ cup).
- Place the patties on prepared broiler pan. Broil 2 to 4-inch from heat, turning once, about 10 minutes until browned and no longer pink in thickest part. Top each with 1 slice of the cheese and broil until cheese melts, 1 minute longer..
- Put roll bottoms on serving plate. Top each with a burger and a tomato slice. Dab evenly with remaining pesto. Top with other halves of rolls.