- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup water
- 2 pounds mussels (40 medium, about 3 inches long)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion starts to soften and garlic starts to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add wine and water. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Add mussels, cover tightly, and cook until mussels open, 4 to 5 minutes (discard any that do not open). Stir in basil and chopped tomato, if desired.