- 1⅓ cups whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 1 cup 2-percent evaporated milk
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8" x 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Bring medium pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to cooking pot.
- Combine squash puree and evaporated milk in medium-size saucepan while macaroni is cooking. Whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 min, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix until cheeses are melted. Stir in sour cream and spinach.
- Add spinach-cheese mixture to macaroni and mix well, breaking up any clumps of spinach. Transfer macaroni mixture to prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with panko.
- Bake 15-20 min, or until crispy on top and bubbling. Let cool 5 min before cutting into 4 squares.