- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. top round beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 shallots, minced
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup red wine or beef broth
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1½ tsp. dried basil
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano add to shopping list
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups water
- In large-size Dutch over medium-high heat, heat oil, add beef and cook, turning often, until browned, 5 minutes. Remove to bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shallots, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add wine and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add reserved beef, carrots, potato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, broth, salt, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, or until potato and carrots are tender.