- Always throw wrinkly, sprouted potatoes away. Store in your crisper in the warmer months to prevent sprouting and shriveling.
- Never eat green potatoes and don’t place green potatoes in the sun to ripen as this increase greening.
- Never store potatoes in plastic. Dirty potatoes last longer so store them unwashed in a dark, dry place. Never in the refrigerator.
- To retain nutrient value always peel potatoes for mashing just prior to cooking or, better still, cook with skin on.
- Potatoes grown in very cold weather turn black when cooked and should be discarded.
- Avoid exposing peeled potatoes to the air or standing in water any longer than necessary, as this will lead to a
- loss of the vitamin-C content.
For crispy-skinned jacket potatoes, scrub well, prick skins to let steam escape and bake without foil.
- For fluffy mash, return cooked, drained potatoes to a warm pot and place paper towel between the potatoes and the lid to ensure they are as dry as possible before mashing.
- Never salt potatoes before deep frying. This will cause the oil to break down.
- Add lemon juice or vinegar to ‘holding’ water to stop potatoes from discoloring before cooking.
TOPPING TIPSTo avoid turning an otherwise nutritious low-kilojoule (1 kilojoule = 0.239 kilocalorie) meal into a fattening feast, stick to healthy toppings instead of the traditional ones that can be heavy in fat and kilojoules (1 kilojoule = 0.239 kilocalorie).
Low-fat cheese325 kJ & 5 g fat per 30 g
Full-fat cheese500 kJ & 10 g fat per 30 g
Natural yogurt140 kJ & 1.3 g fat per 2 tbsp
Sour cream438 kJ & 11 g fat per 2 tbsp
Salsa78 kJ & 0 g fat per 2 tbsp
Gravy190 kJ & 4 g fat per 2 tbsp
Vinaigrette190 kJ & 4 g fat per tbsp
Mayonnaise560 kJ & 14 g fat per tbsp
Baked beans540 kJ & 0 g fat per ½ cup
Bolognaise sauce500 kJ & 5 g fat per ½ cup
Cottage cheese200 kJ & 2 g fat per 2 tbsp
Butter300 kJ & 8 g fat per 2 tbsp
Related Articles:Potato Power
Potato Power: Top Tips For Storing and Cooking
Weight Loss Recipes: LYONNAISE POTATOES
Weight Loss Recipes: POTATO PUFFS
Weight Loss Recipes: SCALLOPED POTATOES
Weight Loss Recipes: POTATO BLINI WITH SALSA CRUDA